Set Your Minds On Things Above

Week 3 of our Intentionally Focused bible study focused on our MIND! Turns out you see things a lot clearer when you are intentionally focusing on your thoughts and what you are exposing your minds too.

{Week 3 Challenge} To be more sensitive to the spirits working in our hearts:

  • lessons God is trying to teach us
  • impressions He is making
  • sin He is convicting us of

{Week 3 Statement} "I will be intentionally focused on heavenly things:

  • person of Jesus
  • work of Jesus
  • convictions of the Holy Spirit
  • words of scripture"

I can honestly say this was the toughest week so far. I even had snow days from work all week with a winter blizzard making its way through our area and Tuesday I simply didn't make the time.....I certainly had plenty of time, but filled it with other things. So.....I played catch up the rest of the week. I absolutely noticed that the 1 day I didn't consult God in quiet about my day, not only affected that day and its productivity, but the days to follow. I am just now (Sunday) feeling like I'm back on track. This was a profound moment realizing that it isn't just a nice thing and a good thing to spend time with God, it is a NECESSARY thing for me to fully function as I need to and as God designed me to.

This week we focused on our minds. I was blown away by how thinking about what I put in my mind effects my mood, work, motivation.......when we let our minds feast on worry, doubt, earthly logistics, we potentially miss what God is wanting us to hear. I noticed this week that how I spend my 'free/down' time is crucial to what my mind is thinking...what I watch, what I listen to, what I let my mind worry about....those are what my mind has to work with. But, I was amazed at how simply thinking more about scripture and listening for God's convictions, lessons, and impressions could totally change my focus, productivity, emotions, physical motivation...etc.

Here's the big deal --------> What my mind is consumed with is what my words and actions respond to!

 

Things I observed this week:

  • the mind if not controlled will turn and mix up the truth until it is not visible! {Romans 8:6}
  • a mind set on heavenly priorities is free to enjoy life on earth
  • only when my mind is focused on God can I see His will and where He is guiding {Romans 12:2}
  • filter our thoughts through heavenly things (what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthly)......if our thoughts/entertainment/discussions do not align with these characteristics.....remove it from your mind! {Philippians 4:8}
  • our mind is the weakest and most vulnerable part of our body; but if carefully pruned, selected, and well nourished can be our strongest and most important organ!!!
  • God's word is essential to a well nourished mind {2 Cor. 10:5}
  • spend time thinking about how I can please God......set my eyes on heavenly things {Col. 3:2}

How to set our minds on heavenly things?

  • Submerge ourselves with God's word!
  • Meditate and fill our minds with scripture!
  • Ask god to help us remember what we read and how to put them into practice!

Profound ideas: filter our movie selections, music, books, games, physical nourishment, free time activities........through {Phillipians 4:8}

Is it true......is it noble.......is it right........------> if that thought, entertainment, action doesn't pass this filter......don't litter your mind with it!

 

{My prayer} "I will no longer conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed. I will open my heart to your transforming by the renewal of my mind. I pray my mind be focused on you and your way. Then and only then will I be able to test, approve, and understand what your will is. I know your way is good, pleasing, and perfect and I dearly want to be with you and your plan."

 

Blessings,

Kristin Noel

 

No comments:

Post a Comment