Hola from Puerto Barrios,
We spent the night at the unique Hotel de Norte which has been in operation since 1896. It was a lovely hotel with a lot of interesting features and an absolutely beautiful overlook of the bay of Amatique. This morning we enjoyed breakfast with the family at the hotel. The Guatemalan hot chocolate is amazing, and yes I had some for breakfast. The kiddos spent time in the pool with the water slide and then watched the manatee's that surface every few minutes. There are about 5 we were watching.
We then piled in a taxi which was harder than a Tuk Tuk with 5 adults and 3 children. Gramma and I practically sat on top of each other in the front seat of a taxi. Hard to believe that a Tuk Tuk can hold more people comfortably than a taxi...I'll never understand. Pictures of all of us plus luggage in a Tuk Tuk.
We made it to the bus station which was an absolute nightmare. We weren't even stopped and people were asking us where we were going and trying to grab our bags.....,one man grabbed my bag and kit saying he was going to take it to the bus and I literally pulled it out of his hands and made it clear I was going to take it........even me with my broken Spanish made it very clear of my intensions.....he got the point! That was the first time this trip I've even had some sort of issue and I'm sure he was just going to put in on the bus like a gentleman but I was not going to take the chance. So...we made it on the bus with no air and LOTS of people.
We made it to Morales after about an hour and went to eat at Sol Naciente a local restaurant in town. We then took another Tuk Tuk back to their casa (house)! It felt good to be back in one place. I really do enjoy spending time at their house as it is out of town and calm.
I had a few more pieces of clothing to do and Irma taught me how to wash as she does. She makes it look so easy.....after a few prices I got the hang of it and it was actually a lot of fun. The clothing gets so clean by washing it this way. It was also really good for my hands and definitely a work out.
One of Irma's friends came by and was an absolute delight. We had a lovely chat with her as we enjoyed Magdelena cake, which is basically an orange flavored bunt cake. Irma then taught me to make tortillas and I'm gonna be honest...it is not easy. She is a pro and even the little girls were better than me, but I did manage to get three to hold together, although not exactly round.
We then walked down to the cemetery to see the decorations on the graves. The country has been celebrating Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the dead) and family members come out to decorate in celebration of those who have passed on. Some of these are incredibly beautiful. We came back enjoyed Irma's amazing pasta and Atol which is a drink similar to Malt-o-Meal in the states but less dense. She steeps it with sugar and cinnamon .....a favorite if mine!
We also had a sing-a-long before bed...then packed up and headed to bed for our early rise and long day of travel. Buenas noches from beautiful Morales!








































No comments:
Post a Comment