Day 14 - Guatemala 2013

Hola mi familia y amigos,

Today gramma and I spent the day in Panajachel enjoying the culture of this delightful city. We had a lovely breakfast at our hotel overlooking Lake Atitlan and the beautiful volcanos. We then headed out to look at the local shops and see the sights and sounds of the city. We went to local shop after shop and tons of coffee houses and bakeries.

The shops were full of traditional style art work and clothing. All the hand weaved items are beautiful. Many of the locals (indigenous natives) still live in small villages outside the city in the mountains . You can definitely tell them from typical Guatemalans as they dress differently and specifically carry their young children in pouches in their back or front. It is very common to see women with colorful blouses and skirts with babies pouched behind them or holding in a sling to nurse them. I really love this aspect of the culture. These natives are Myan and in this part of the country speak Kelchiquel.

We settled for a light bite and a piƱa colada at a quaint little cafe with a beautiful scenery. We then shopped a bit more and took the rest of the afternoon easy collecting our thoughts and enjoying the beauty of the lake. We went back out for a bit this evening and had an amazing dinner at the restaurant at our hotel. We heard from our other traveling companion (Mark) who was filming the eclipse in Bermuda this past week. From the travel Mark came down with a cold and decided not to join us for the last leg if our trip. For the rest of the trip it will just be Gramma and I. We are sad our third companion will not be with us but understand that health comes first! We will miss you Uncle Mark in Phase 3 Guatemala!

Another exciting thing today was my sister (Kayla's) birthday. She will be 24 years old today....o how the years go by. I've been so blessed to have her as my sister and am glad that 24 years ago my parents told me "it's a girl!" Happy Birthday Kayla....we love you!

Adios from beautiful Panahachel,

Gramma & Kristin

 

1 comment:

  1. Awww Love you too sister!!! Wish I could be on this crazy adventure.. looks amazing! Btw While today I am technically 24 I have decided that for the rest of my life I am staying 23.. so happy 23rd birthday to me!!!! <3 you! Miss you both!!!

    Kay Kay

    ReplyDelete