Hola from Guatemala City!
Today was our last and final full day in Guatemala. Tomorrow we return to our beloved family and friends to share all we have experienced and learned. But right now......let me tell you about our last day!
I woke around 7 after a very difficult night sleep.........in fact I woke a bit after 2 and was up until almost 5....so if you got an email from me at some ridiculous time of the morning.....don't be alarmed its just my insomniac episodes from being away from my husband.
We enjoyed breakfast in our hotel room with hot tea and a granola bar....packed up and headed out. There was a textile organization that supports weavers in the area that we really wanted to visit called Trauma Textiles. We walked to the office to find it closed so we walked a bit more to another organization supporting a similar cause. We were able to speak to this organization members about their work and visit their fair trade store.
We went back a different way and ended up walking up a hill that would never end......I also want to mention that Xela is at about 7,600 ft above sea level so oxygen is a bit harder to come by for us foreigners. We finally made it up the hill (see picture below..doesn't do the hill justice) and they were open! It was such a pleasant visit with a local woman who weaves and works on the board. They also had a lovely little store we were able to look around in! We were so glad we got to visit these organizations because supporting the local culture and art is something very near and dear to our hearts!
We then walked back to the central plaza and stumbled into a local pastry shop that had the most delicious looking pastries I have ever seen....we hit the jackpot for sure! We picked out a few to share....some cream, some fruit.....with a cup of tea (Gramma had coffee). They were perfect and what we have been looking for our entire trip......so good!
We then went back to our hotel checked out and headed back out to the art gallery. The artist Rodrigo Diaz remembered us immediately. We sat and chatted about art and life .....he is such a pleasant person not to mention an amazing painter. His style of art is not necessarily something I typically refer, but the way he spoke of his paintings and the meaning of the colors and lines......I fell in love with them. I was also reminded of how much I love art and how expressive art can be. I think one of the things I love so much about art and artists is that in a way they don't loose their imagination as many adults do. They remain children with their imagination and Mr. Rodrigo is no exception. When I look at his art I feel like a child again exploring my imagination! I also love that art is different to each person.....some of you will love this piece and others will not, but aside from aesthetics, you can appreciate it. So.........by now you've probably guested I bought the painting. He packaged it for me very well and it hasn't left my hands since! The time Gramma and I spent in the art studio looking at art and getting to know this special man are moments I will not forget. This was certainly the icing on top of a fantastic journey through Central America!
We had a farewell lunch with a glass of wine toasting to a wonderful trip and a memorable journey! Our van arrived at 3 and we got to ride in luxury with only the 2 of us the entire 3 hour trip from Xela to Antigua. We arrived and ofcourse we weren't on the list to go to Guatemala City, even though we had reservations and our tickets.....so they quickly fixed that by what......o yea packing us in an already full van. O great! We had about 45 minutes to kill before it arrived so we had a fresh smoothie from the organic store next door......both were awesome! When the bus came we were told to sit in the front .....you mean both........yes...both Gramma and I sat in the front of the van with the driver! It sounds terrible but it actually was nice because I got to see right out the window so I got less car sick this time! Side note: we were also front and center for the driving......people here have no sense of appropriate space between vehicles, bikes, pedestrians.....the first few drivers we had I just thought they drove like lunatics, turns out they ALL do! But.....I haven't seen an accident since being here so apparently they are good at it.
We arrived in Guatemala City and it is much more dangerous in this city than any of the others we have been in....so naturally we tense up and are praying we get dropped off first! Hah.....last....we got dropped off last! The driver leaned over to us and said "the city tour is free!" O Thanks!
So we dropped people off at some sketching looking bus stops and residential areas, but nothing too bad....until we are driving and hear a sound like a loud gunshot right next to our van...so loud my ears hurt and it felt as if something had hit our van. We all tensed up then and what does the driver do....pulls over to check it out......my initial thought is drive.....drive fast......far away...not stop! So he checks everything and sees nothing. No scratches, all the tires are fine, and we continue on our way never knowing what it was! Lets just say it was dark and I was glad to arrive at our hotel.
We repacked for tomorrow's travels and are heading to bed. We have to leave our hotel around 6:14 am. Tomorrow will be a long day for us both, but an exciting one also......back to our next journey of life!
Buenas Noches!
Gramma & Kristin Noel














No comments:
Post a Comment